Journal of Paramedic Practice, Vol. 4, Iss. 2, 03 Feb 2012, pp 67
Ten years ago, ambulance clinicians often perceived their role as responding to patients who had experienced an accident or acute medical emergency. Ambulance services concentrated almost entirely on the need to respond rapidly. While 80% of paramedic training was focused on this group of patients, the experience on the clinical frontline was somewhat different. Where were the endless time critical patients requiring multiple invasive interventions and medicines? The reality was that this group of patients represented less than 10% of the average ambulance workload. The remaining 90% were often labeled as inappropriate as their conditions were perceived as not increasing staff knowledge, testing their competencies or enabling the use of technical skills (Lewis and Bradbury, 1982). The last ten years has brought significant change in the way that ambulance services respond to these patients. Taking Healthcare to the Patient (Department of Health, 2005) recommended that ambulance clinicians should be equipped with
a greater range of competencies to enable them to assess, treat, refer, or discharge an
increasing number of patients in the community.
To view this article
You cannot access this article because you do not have a valid subscription. Please use the options below to create a subscription. If you have any queries about your account please contact our subscriptions department or telephone free 0800 137201 (UK callers only) or +44 (0)1722 716997 for callers outside the UK.