Stroke assessment and management in pre-hospital settings


This article will review the assessment and management of acute stroke in the pre-hospital setting. Stroke affects over 111,000 individuals per year, with almost 1 million individuals living with the after effects of stroke in England today. 85% of all strokes are ischaemic, treatments including with intravenous thrombolytic agents and mechanical thrombectomy, the remaining 15% haemorrhagic strokes are able to managed with decompressive hemicraniectomy. The key risks factors for stroke will also be briefly discussed, since they are commonly presenting conditions in the pre-hospital setting. A range of specific stroke assessment tools will be presented – not all are used, nor appropriate, for the pre-hospital setting – but it is useful to be aware of these. The article will also include differential diagnosis and stroke mimics. The key features of acute stroke are the sudden onset of focal neurological sings and symptoms.

Subscribe to get full access to the Journal of Paramedic Practice

Thank you for vising the Journal of Paramedic Practice and reading our archive of expert clinical content. If you would like to read more from the only journal dedicated to those working in emergency care, you can start your subscription today for just £48.

CPD Focus

Reading the Journal of Paramedic Practice counts towards your professional development

Develop your career

We provide professional information dedicated to paramedics covering training, education and jobs

Stay informed

Get the latest clinical information to ensure you are aware of the latest think and best practice in paramedicne

Subscribe now

Already registered? - Sign in here

Keep up to date with Journal of Paramedic Practice!

Sign up to Journal of Paramedic Practice’s regular newsletters and keep up-to-date with the very latest clinical research and CPD we publish each month.