Point-of-care testing by paramedics using a portable laboratory: an evaluation


Use of point-of-care testing (POCT) equipment by paramedics for triage may reduce unnecessary attendance in emergency departments and inconvenience to patients. A hospital pathology service and an ambulance trust wanted a system for safe and effective use of diagnostic devices by paramedics at the patient bedside. A suite of POCT devices to perform an expanded repertoire of pathology tests was provided, along with technology for electronic data capture, temperature control and monitoring, in a specially designed kit bag—the Labkit. Following a proof-of-concept phase, three Labkit bags were deployed as a pilot in rapid response vehicles and used by specialist paramedics in urgent and emergency care who had been trained in their use. The paramedics used the bag in 25% of patient interactions, typically three times every 24 hours. Having POCT results available at the time of paramedic assessment reduced conveyance to the emergency department by 21%. There was also a 10% rise in admission of patients where pathology results indicated problems that required urgent treatment which would otherwise have gone unnoticed. Overall, 31% of conveyance decisions were changed as a direct consequence of the Labkit results. Patients reported high levels of satisfaction, and paramedics said it added value in 97% of cases where it was used to support decision-making. Reliable, quality-assured POCT by paramedics has the potential to improve efficiency in the healthcare system and benefit patients.

Subscribe to get full access to the Journal of Paramedic Practice

Thank you for vising the Journal of Paramedic Practice and reading our archive of expert clinical content. If you would like to read more from the only journal dedicated to those working in emergency care, you can start your subscription today for just £48.

CPD Focus

Reading the Journal of Paramedic Practice counts towards your professional development

Develop your career

We provide professional information dedicated to paramedics covering training, education and jobs

Stay informed

Get the latest clinical information to ensure you are aware of the latest think and best practice in paramedicne

Subscribe now

Already registered? - Sign in here

Keep up to date with Journal of Paramedic Practice!

Sign up to Journal of Paramedic Practice’s regular newsletters and keep up-to-date with the very latest clinical research and CPD we publish each month.